Saturday 12 January 2013

Teaching at CARIS summer camp (Olympic Edition)



             In summer 2012, I was invited to be a guest teacher at CARIS (Christian Action and Response In Society), a charity in Harringay. The children were having a great time in their Olympic theme activity-packed summer camp, and I get to organise a one day workshop for them. Working with my beloved illustrators and tutors Gary Powell and Andrew Foster, as well as Kanitta Meechubot, we came up with "making the news" sessions where a group of kids get to make their own report of the Olympic. The headlines includes: "who I was with when I saw the Olympic?", "The heart of the game", "my favorite sport star", etc. At the end I also chose a few works to put together as a program of their summer camp closing ceremony. Working with the small kids (age 5 to 12) was a real challenge for me, their attention span and ability are very different from any other age group I had tought. At the end of the day though, it all came down together really well! They all did had a great time and their artwork reflects what the Olympic is really about for me; it bring people together. The kids left the center with smilling faces and that gave a big smile on mine as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment